Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Leader in Me Finds Oak Grove

In August of 2010, I was sitting at home with my laptop reading about schools when the author said "and we are implementing The Leader in Me with our students".  Wow,  "The Leader in Me"  the thought that every child could say, "There is a leader in me." It was such a powerful phase, I was blown away. I immediately found the book on Amazon.com and waited three long days until it arrived.   The book describes AB Combs School in Raleigh, North Carolina that reinvents itself as a leadership school.    The leadership theme is based on Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, a training that I had experienced years ago but never thought about teaching to young children.  AB Combs uses a ubiquitous integration of the habits into all areas of the curriculum and culture. I bought copies of the books for our school principals.  The first day of school, I offered to provide copies to teachers who may want to read the book.  Soon we had a Book Club that met at lunchtime.  One day, Amy Flores, 4th grade teacher, appeared at my door with a student.  "I just found out that Ching Ching transferred from  AB Combs, " she said.  We were delighted to find that we had a student that we could first hand ask about AB Combs.  We invited her to be our guest at our book club.  Ching Ching is an articulate, impressive, sensitive speaker.  Did she learn this at AB Combs or was this just a coincidence?   

No comments:

Post a Comment